Friday, March 18, 2011

Better--finally!!

Yes, the back is getting better finally.  I have had ups and downs in the last few weeks but I can say that I am pretty sure I will be ready to go to work on Sunday night.  It has not been a happy time being out of work for a month.  You hear people say, man I's like to be off work for a month.  Well, if you are healthy and doing what you want, then I would agree.  But if you can't do anything, and are in fear of turning or moving the wrong way and ending up with severe pain and not able to move, it is not a fun time.  I still am very careful how I turn and how long I stand, but I am not afraid to bend down to reach for something or sit in any chair in the house.  A month ago that was not possible. I am very thankful it is not that way now...

On the weaving front, I invested in a new to me horizontal warping reel.  It allows me to wind a warp MUCH faster and with little strain to my back and very little reaching.  It is a tool I will use a lot in the future.

In the forefront, I will be the weaver for a fleece to shawl competition in a few weeks.  Chris, who with his partner Christian, bought my first floor loom from me, is involved with MAPACA, the mid atlantic alpaca association.  This year one of their focus' is the use of the fiber.  So they are having their first fleece to shawl competition and Chris asked me to be the weaver for a team he is organizing.  There are 3 other women from Pa and NJ on the team as the spinners.  I have spoken with them all and it seems like we will have a good team and lots of fun.  When I went to meet Chris at his farm the other day to get the yarn for the warp, he gave me 2 baggies of the alpaca blanket for me to spin for sampling.  I spun 68 gms of the soft, soft, soft fiber and then plyed it into 216yds of yarn. I am winding the warp (see above) and hope to dress the Harrisville tomorrow.  Maybe I can get Sam to help me before he goes to sleep. Then onto sampling.  I want to have 2 samples ready for everyone to see so we can decide what to do.  I may try for 4 different treadlings if possible in the 2 samples. I like the idea of choice.

Well off to meet my friend Cathy.  We are going to the musical Dreamgirls at the local high school tonight.  As Sam has to work 11-7, this will keep the house quiet for him.  Off to play for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment