Monday, January 10, 2011

Keeping going..

Well, I have gone back to working on the February Lady sweater for my daughter.  Problem is I can't measure it on her and there was a place that needed measuring.  So, when my BFF and I had our holiday day last weekend, we went to Stitches With Style to sit and knit.  There I was talking to Janet, a friend that works there part time and is pretty close to my daughters' size.  With very little asking, she graciously tried on the sweater top and helped me determine that I needed at least another 3" of garter stitch before I started the lace. So, I am keeping going on the plain ole knitting...  But while there I met a couple of ladies that are weavers as well.  We got talking and it was so much fun and such an opportunity for learning.  They are both members of the Harmony Weavers in Wilmington and I am already planning on joining this week.  I got lots of complements on the scarf that Cathy had with her and my pictures of my towels on the loom.  AND they think I am too advanced already for the beginners course at The Mannings.  SO, am looking at the 4 day event in July for MAFA.  I think it will be a good time and learning experience.  Time will tell.

Life does not totally revolve around knitting, as noted above, there is also weaving!!  This morning I took off my first set of kitchen towels from the loom, all 5 of them.  And these babies are not the small, wimpy ones.  They range from 27 1/2" to 30 1/2" long and all are 21 1/4" wide.  Well they are that size, until I finish washing them in hot water and drying them in a hot dryer several times.  These are 100% cotton and will shrink up, which is what we want, so I am excited to see what they will be like after they are dried.  Next on the loom--one of 2 choices, a black scarf for Sam or a multicolored shawl for me.  I know I want to do the shawl next but it is winter and he could use a nice scarf.  Practicality will probably win out plus he has been a good guy as I gather all the little bits that make weaving more fun and easier. It is his turn now for something nice.

Speaking of winter, I am watching the weather again. I work the next 3 nights and then head to Connecticut to watch my 2 nieces as my sister and BIL fly off to the Caribbean to celebrate his 50th birthday.  I first off, don't want to get stuck at work and secondly, want to be able to get there to watch the girls.  So it is another weather watch and wait.

Well the first wash/dry of the towels are done so they are now soaking for the 2nd time.  Pictures to come when available.

1 comment:

  1. I hope the weather cooperates for you!

    I've never weaved anything so I can't wait to see how your towels turn out.

    ReplyDelete