Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Knitting at night.

I am a nurse.  I have been for 37 years this May and the majority of the time I have worked it has been at night.  I like working at night.  You have a better time to communicate with your patients as there are not visitors, doctors, social workers or other assorted interruptions.  And the night is when you are needed the most, feelings and fears are magnified as the business of the day fades and the frustrations and realities of current situations become focused. 

I work with new Moms and babies.  Most people would go "Ah-h-h-h, you get to play with babies."  But truth is I get to help over tired and often in pain women try to cope with a squirming, hungry, fussy and often unco-operative newborn.  Meltdowns happen and a lot of soothing--of both Mom and baby--is done.

But sometimes, when the mouth is held just right and the stars align, there is a calm time in the middle of the night.  (Any nurse will tell you not to use the "Q" word to describe that period of time as all hell will break loose if you do.)  And during this calm time, a little knitting can get done.  I have knit socks and scarves and sweaters and mittens in the last few years.  Whatever project it is, it has to be able to be put down instantly when a bell rings, or a co-worker needs help or an emergency happens.

Tonight I got to work on my Wollmeise socks.  I have turned the heels and am marching towards the toes.  I did a quick measurement and about another 10-12 rows before I start the decreases for the toes and the end of these socks.  IOW, about another 3-4 nights like tonight and I will have this project/UFO finished. 

Knitting at night, sometime lots, sometimes none.  But every night brings a chance to get closer to finishing a project.  Why waste time...I can knit at night.

1 comment:

  1. If there's anywhere I'd want to work in a hospital, it would definitely be maternity. It's great that you can fit knitting in sometimes during the night shift.

    ReplyDelete